We do community-based care of orphans and vulnerable children, an approach which seems to most experts much wiser--let alone more cost-effective--than orphanage care. With $40 per month, we provide supplemental nutrition, clothing, school fees, health care, spiritual care, and ongoing supervision of the children's living situations.
Here is our promise to our sponsors and the children whom we sponsor:
- Monthly distribution of supplemental food (grain, pasta, beans, cooking oil)
- Monthly distribution of hygiene products (hair oil, soap, feminine products)
- Yearly clothing: at least one full outfit (jacket, pants, shirt, undergarments, socks), sport clothing and 2 pairs of shoes
- Medical: 2 health check-ups per year and other medical expenses as needed
- School fees
- School supplies on a regular basis (notebook, pen, pencil, eraser)
- Academic tutoring at local church or sponsorship office
- Rewards for top academic performers
Social and Spiritual Support
- Sunday school classes (on a weekly basis) with learning materials provided
- Self-help group for parent or guardian so they can support one another and learn skills in parenting, health and hygiene, and business. They also begin saving together so they can have the capital to start businesses.
- Regular home visits from a staff member or volunteer to monitor child's living situation and family status.
- Access to a social worker to assist with any additional need
- Small birthday gift
- Christmas celebration
- Easter celebration
- Additional gifts and correspondence as provided by sponsor
- Additional programs as provided by mission teams
- Visits from sponsor (often as part of a mission team)